Sunday, February 7, 2010

Of Mice and Men is more than just the tragedy of Lennie; it shows the sadness and suffering of individuals in?

a disinterested world.





What should I discuss in my body of my essay?Of Mice and Men is more than just the tragedy of Lennie; it shows the sadness and suffering of individuals in?
Well, I don't know, I suppose it's very much about the depression and how economic hardship promotes selfishness. George, Lennie and the others have never really prospered and all they have is their dream..their own piece of land etc. But they are ignored, and ultimately we come to realised that in such a dog eat dog world there is no way that their dream can be realised.


Look at the ways the other men respond to Lennie and George's relationship, They can't seem to handle the fact that they have such a powerful bond and will act for the good of the other regardless of personal gain.


Curly's wife can also be seen to be vaguely tragic, perhaps you could look at her in terms of women's traditional roles and how she is treated by Curly.


Almost every character represents a minority within society, the disapled, the working class, the elderly, african americans etc. I suppose it sort of shows how the only ones that can really prosper are white males..a sad truth in 1930s american society and even now. Those in power have no desire to help the most needy in case it drags them down and so this creates a sense of sadness surrounding all the characters.


Sorry for being so long-winded..and I'm a little rusty on this, I studied it a long time ago.


I hope at least some of this is helpful!


Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment